Skiing in Canillo
In a nutshell: A quiet mountain town connected by a modern gondola to an enormous ski area
- A traditional and charming Andorran village
- If you’re looking for a quiet ski holiday, Canillo is much more reserved than neighbouring Soldeu and Pas de la Casa
- Part of the massive Grandvalira ski area which has an excellent modern lift system, 3 snowparks and wonderful mountain restaurants serving delicious regional dishes
- Fantastic beginner and intermediate slopes
We don’t like:
- No runs back to the village. The only way to finish your days skiing is in the gondola or on a ski bus
- Very quiet apres-ski with only a handful of bars to choose from
- You have to take two ski lifts in the morning before you can hit the wide choice of runs in El Tarter and Soldeu
- Limited skiing for advanced skiers
- Resort altitude: 1,500m
- Highest lift: 2,528m
- Lowest piste: 1,700m
- Transfer time from most convenient airport: Toulouse 2h 20m
- Number of lifts: 62
- Number of runs:
- Green: 19
- Blue: 49
- Red: 41
- Black: 18
- Ski area size: Large – 210km of piste
- Big ski area
- Traditional charm
- Great for beginners
- Great for intermediates
A Canillo ski holiday is a much more relaxed affair when compared to other resorts in the Grandvalira ski area. It is one of Andorra’s oldest villages and still has a relaxed, sleepy feel. However, thanks to a new gondola and modern lift network it is now an easy ski to the livelier Soldeu and Pas de la Casa, just make sure you don’t miss the last ski lift home!
There are no ski runs leading into Canillo so you need to start each day with a ride up the Canillo gondola. If you want to access the extensive beginner and intermediate runs in the next valley you need to take one more chairlift before you can hit the beautiful blue and red pistes that make Grandvalira so popular.
If you’re happy pottering around on beginner slopes above you’ll be very happy as the beginner ski slopes above Canillo are much quieter than the other nursery slopes in the Grandvalira ski area.
Canillo does have several duty free shops, several bars and cosy restaurants which serve delicious local dishes. There is also ice-skating and a swimming pool in the community centre.